1. Hey Guest Please vote for us at https://vote.cityprison.net You'll get awesome rewards like Kits, Crates, Money and more! Make sure to vote every 24 hours! - Thanks :)
  2. Hey Guest, If you can please support us by donating to our server! https://donate.cityprison.net it helps us keep going and growing our minecraft network. We've been open for over 5 years!

Refine Ingame Rules

Discussion in 'Suggestions/Bugs' started by UASO, Jun 2, 2019.

?

Agree?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't care about this topic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. UASO

UASO New Member

I feel like we should revamp the rules with 3 goals in mine.

Make the rules clear and concise.
    Example: Saying Profanity and Cursing are against the rules instead of 'anything vulgar' as this is open to interpretation and bias while Profanity and Cursing are precisely defined so everyone will interpret it the same way.
    https://prnt.sc/nwlf5o

Remove the practice of using words as symbols for other words.
    Example: Emojis fall under 'Spam' it gets confusing when you get warned for using an emoji for the reason "Spam" and you try to dispute it as spam and they have to explain the server's definition of spam is broad.

Have fewer rules
    Example:
    3+ capital words in a short sentence,
    TaLkInG lIkE tHiS still counts as caps if it's excessive.
    an excessive amount of capital words in a long sentence
    All 3 of those could fall under 1 rule, something like "Don't use more than %50 caps in chat"

By applying these 3 rules to the way we write rules should allow for them to be understandable without question, precise as to prevent false interpretations, and easy to remember by having fewer to cover a larger range of offenses.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tradie

Tradie Member
    Moderator Titanium Member

Thank you for bringing this up. We will be working on revamping the rules shortly to make it more defined. I'll keep you updated as to what is going on if you wish to be informed.

Cheers,
    - Tradie

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. owen1445

owen1445 Active Member
    Titanium Premium Member

• The reason the "Vulgar" rule is shown to be quite "free" or "broad" is to make sure people don't try and bypass it. If you were just to put "Profanity and Cursing" you could argue people would try to bypass the rules, which (correct me if I am wrong) is one of the reason the rule was broadened from Swearing a couple of years back.
    • Having examples of CAPS offenses makes it abundantly clear to newer players what they can be warned/muted for. This is turn helps them avoid such consequences which they might otherwise not be aware of.
    That being said, I do think that the new Revamp to /warp Rules will benefit the server overall, so I do appreciate you bringing this debate up in chat as well as on the forums. I'd also like to thank you for your respect whilst doing so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. UASO

UASO New Member

Awesome! Hopefully, sooner than later thank you, I bet it'll make your job easier in the long run!

5. UASO

UASO New Member

I find this entirely incorrect, and if you'd like to understand the topic further, this is called Vagueness Doctrine.
    The TLDR of it states vague laws are harder to enforce and to follow as each needs to determine what it means.

Having clear rules instead of a bunch of examples and would make it more understandable as it's less content to absorb.
    Telling someone
    Use less than %50 caps
    and
    Do NoT TyPe LiKe ThIs
    DO NOT TYPE like this
    oD NOT tyPE LIke THIS

gives them the same information but the first example sets a standard staff can go off of so people know if they are breaking the rules or not.
    Staff can look at the white examples and think the yellow or green depending on which rules we have.
    MY IGN is UASO. 73% I should warn him. That is a lot of caps ima warn em
    MY ign is UASo. 45% I shouldn't warn him. Just the beginning and his name are caps, he ight.
    my ign is uaso. 00% I shouldn't warn him. virgin scared to get warned doesn't use caps lol

With that first example, the user with the ign UASO could attempt to make the mod reconsider and depending on the wording of the rule the mod can use it to back him up at various levels.
    UASO: boss my sentence looks normal, it isn't excessive, I used proper capitalization except for 1 letter. Why did you warn me?
    Mod: Rule says use %50 or less, I don't write them. Please type /warp rules, and if you have any questions you can send them my way!

UASO: boss my sentence looks normal, it isn't excessive, I used proper capitalization except for 1 letter. Why did you warn me?
    Mod: Rule shows an example of excessive caps and you had nearly 3/4 caps in your short sentence.
    UASO: Doesn't make it excessive, all of it was proper capitalization except for one letter.
    Mod: Your opinion doesn't make the world go around, I think 1 extra cap makes it excessive.

#5 UASO, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. TidalxWave

TidalxWave New Member
    Support Titanium Member

Quick comment. Caps in a username do not contribute to the caps rule as its their username.

Also, there are arguments for and against a lot of examples. Examples are typically helpful to staff if they're unsure of a warn but yes they sometimes get lost in translation. The staff team will take all that into account when rewriting the rules. But as a side note there will be a new warp built and those things take a lot of time to complete and as there are many different rules that will also take quite a bit of time to rewrite. The staff team always takes player suggestions into account but ultimately is up to the server owner and the staff team to decide how the rules will be written. Hopefully they will end up being satisfactory which i have no doubt they will.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zilv28

Zilv28 Picky Kid
    SrGuard Wiki Team Premium Member

As said above, we will be working on revamping the rules very soon.
    Thank you guys for the input.

~Zilv

• Friendly Friendly x 1